These easy to make protein bars without all the sugar and preservatives of the store bought variety are a great snack on the go.
3 cups brown rice cereal
1/2 cup honey (or brown rice syrup)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter*
1/4 cup protein powder of choice ( I use Complete protein from Juice Plus) (You could also use hemp protein)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (chilled in freezer)**
1/2 cup chopped peanuts (optional)***
- Line an 8 x 8” square dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Next combine the honey and nut butter in a small saucepan over low heat and stir together. Cook for a few minutes until they are melted and thoroughly combined then remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the brown rice cereal, chopped nuts, and protein powder to the saucepan and stir everything together until well-combined. Lastly, add the frozen chocolate chips (this helps keep them from completely melting) and stir a few times.
- Transfer the mixture to the lined baking dish and then place another piece of parchment paper on top. Use your hands to smooth the mixture down into the dish, pressing firmly until the surface is as even as possible. Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight. Alternatively, you can freeze them for 1-2 hours.
- Once the mixture has set, use the parchment paper to lift it out and place on a surface for cutting. Use a large knife to cut it into 12 bars. Store in an airtight container on the counter or refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- **can substitute almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter
- ***can substitute dried fruit like cranberries or raisins
- ***can substitute extra 1/2 cup rice cereal, oats, other chopped nuts, or seed of choice
- Note: add a pinch of salt if using unsalted nut butter
by Making thyme for health