Delicious and healthy this broccoli cheddar soup for a light meal or a starter.
1 large head of broccoli (1 lb.) (use broccoli crowns)
1 1/4 cup peeled and diced russet potato
1 stalk of celery diced small
1 small carrot diced small
1 cup diced onion
2/3 cup diced red bell pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon tamari
1/3 cup half and half
1/4 cup 2% milk (fresh coconut milk option)
3 cups reserved broccoli water
4 oz. shredded medium or sharp cheddar
- Discard tough lower third of broccoli stems.
- Finely chop remaining stems.
- Cut remaining broccoli into small florets.
- Bring to a boil 2 quarts of water with a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Add broccoli florets and cook till just tender.
- Strain reserving 3 cups of the cooking water.
- Set broccoli aside.
- Saute onion, pepper, carrot, celery, broccoli stems, cumin, cayenne and ground mustard in oil for 3-5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, tamari then diced potato; saute for another minute.
- Add broccoli cooking water and let simmer till veggies start to soften.
- Mix 2 Tablespoons of water with cornstarch, add to the pot to thicken base.
- Puree soup in a blender with half and half and milk.
- Add back to pot and melt cheese into soup.
- Add broccoli florets and warm through.
Only use cornstarch to thicken soup if needed. Depends on consistency you wish.
by Red Mountain Resort