Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears’ solution for sneaking nutritious veggies into a sweet treat that kids love!
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened ( check out some butter substitutes you can try here )
- 1 1/2 cups sugar ( here are some sugar substitutes to try )
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( You can also use whole wheat flour)
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup zucchini, finely grated
- 1 cup carrot, finely grated
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the yogurt, beating well after each addition. Fold in zucchini and carrots. Fill paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.