This recipe is loaded with great proteins not only from the beans but this stick-to-your-ribs recipe also includes quinoa. All that and it’s delicious.
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 large red bell pepper, chopped (2 cups)
1 large green bell pepper, chopped (2 cups)
2 small onions, chopped (1 cup)
1 stalk of celery, sliced (1/2 cup)
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional, if you like more heat)
1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
2 15-oz cans white beans, drained and rinsed
4 large fresh tomatoes, chopped with juices (4 cups)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
6 oz fresh spinach, chopped (4 cups)
- In a 4-qt pot, combine quinoa and 4 cups water and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, onion, celery, jalapeno, chipotle, beans, tomatoes, cumin and oregano to pot with quinoa.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- When chili is thick and quinoa is throwing off its tiny white haloes, stir in spinach and cook for 1 more minute, until just wilted. Serve hot.
- You can freeze the leftovers for an easy re-heat later. Hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do!
by Danette May