So many emotions floating around in my head right now. 2020 has been quite a year. The news along with social media really can play a number on your emotions. One minute you think everything is good, you’ve found a new routine and the next minute it’s all put on hold.
Covid, the US election, winter coming, less daylight, conspiracy theory mayhem and the list goes on. What do you believe to be true? What is just messing with your emotions? This is a real test to our resilience both mentally and physically. We are in a time where we must focus on the things that meet our values and create daily habits that fuel our happiness.
This video popped up in my Facebook feed this week and I have to tell you it made me smile and cry all at the same time. It’s a beautiful piece from Glee, who didn’t love that show? It made me really reflect on where we are right now as a world and where we need to go. We all have our own political views and if we can put those aside and really reflect on what we all want as humans this song and video sums it up. I hope it can give you a little hope in a world that’s a little upside down right now.
I’ve thought a lot about life in 2020 and here is what I know…some is serious, some is a little fun but it is all my truth.
- You need to know your news source and what the motivation behind their reporting is before you believe everything that is said. Yes, there is fake news but there is also good quality news reports too. Know the difference. Better yet, take a news break, research what you want to know about from reliable sources and turn off the TV.
- Covid is for real people and we all need to do our part to protect our loved ones, those that are vulnerable and our front line workers. Please listen to the experts: our health care leaders creating policy based on science, they are your leaders when it comes to Covid. They are doing their best based on real scientific knowledge and trying to balance keeping our economy going and saving lives. Not an easy job, so don’t be a jerk and think your life is more important. This is temporary.
- There is no quick fix to most things, (gorilla glue can fix some!) so be patient. Find new things to talk about and learn while you have the time. Obsessing over one thing is never healthy.
- Winter is cold here in Winnipeg so bundle up, move that body and create your new fun. Let’s all embrace winter together. Continue your walks, try snowshoeing, cross country skiing, fat tire biking, build a snow man, make a snow angel…
- Games are fun. Dig them out and have a game night with the family.
- Understand how social media works and only follow and read things that make you happy. Please ignore the rhetoric that is fed to you via algorithms, that is truly what is messing us up. Don’t go down the rabbit hole. Watch the Social Dilemma on Netflix if really want to understand this.
- Smiling feels a whole lot better than not smiling. Give it a try. But cry if you need to. Ask for help if you need it. Acknowledge your emotions, don’t hide from them, we are all human and we experience life in our own way. Just don’t forget to smile! 🙂
I know a lot of other things too but I’ll stop here. We’ve got this everyone. Just Imagine…I am a dreamer are you?