- 1 sweet onion – medium diced
- 2 celery stalks – medium diced
- 3 carrots – medium diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil – or enough to cover the bottom of the pot
- 2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh zucchini – medium diced (about 1 medium or 2 small)
- 2 cups green beans – cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 bell pepper – medium diced
- 75 lbs of fresh tomatoes or 1 x 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups of water
- 1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups kale – stems removed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (or to taste)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large stockpot over medium heat and add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes and cook for about one minute or until garlic begins to color.
- Add the zucchini and the green beans, season with salt and pepper, add the turmeric, stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the water, raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium/low and allow the soup to gently boil (uncovered) for about 20 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and cover for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cover, add the kale and the canned beans (more water if needed) bring back to a gentle boil and cook for another 5 minutes or just until the kale is tender.
Garnish with Parmesan to taste
Garnish with slivered basil or finely chopped rosemary