- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion – thinly sliced
- 15 oz can chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes – peeled and diced
- ½ cup coconut milk – light
- ½ cup chicken stock – low sodium
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons curry powder – salt-free
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder – optional
- 1 cup green peas – frozen
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- cilantro – optional garnish
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, whisk together coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato sauce, curry powder, salt and cayenne.
- Add chicken breasts, onion, chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Using tongs, gently toss ingredients together to ensure evenly coated.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Stir in peas and lemon juice 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice and with plenty of fresh cilantro.
To reduce sodium levels, be sure to pick up low sodium chicken stock, tomato sauce and chicken breasts. (Sodium levels vary per brand.) You can also start with ½ teaspoon salt and add more later if needed.
Serving size: 2 cups Calories: 302 Fat: 4.7 g Saturated fat: 1.9 g Unsaturated fat: 2.8 g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 43.1 g Sugar: 12.2 g Sodium: 1232 mg Fiber: 8.6 g Protein: 24.4 g Cholesterol: 60 mg
Recipe compliments of: http://thelemonbowl.com/2013/05/slow-cooker-chicken-curry.html