gluten-free, grain-free, vegan, low-carb, dairy-free (very allergen friendly)
prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 large Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can of green lentils (19 oz can), rinsed and drained (or previously cooked)
- bunch of baby spinach or chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil or thyme for plating
- grape seed oil for cooking
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Halve the Spaghetti Squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and strings from the center and place on a baking sheet cut side down and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely by basically setting aside and preparing the other ingredients.
- In a large skillet, drizzle in grape seed oil and sautee the onion, add in the cherry tomatoes and continue cooking uncovered for about 2 minutes until the tomatoes brown slightly.
- Stir in the lentils, spinach and seasoning: celery seeds, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and cover the pan to allow the spinach to wilt and heat the lentils.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- Back to the squash, fluff the ‘meat’ of the squash with a fork and scoop into the skillet.
- Stir to combine all the ingredients well. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Scoop into the shells of the squash evenly.
- Top with chopped basil and serve hot.
This dish comes together very quickly! 🙂 You can bake the squash a day in advance and keep in the fridge. And the prepping of the squash is really quick too – just cut once and scoop and pop into the oven. The oven does all the work – you do nothing 🙂
Then just sautee the ingredients before serving – it literally takes about 5 minutes to put this together once the squash is ready.
You can serve this as a dish all on its own or make it as a side dish and serve it with grilled wild salmon or chicken if you wish.
Recipe compliments of: http://pureella.com/spaghetti-squash-boats-with-green-lentils/